Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Laundry

People ask me what I crave during pregnancy. Last time around I consumed unhealthy amounts of soda and juice. Water was disgusting to my taste buds and I avoided it at all costs. I blame my chronic puker of a baby for nearly the first year of her life on my poor drinking habits. This time I've tried to up my water intake considerably in hopes that burp rags won't become a part of my wardrobe for the months to come. My new love make that addiction for crushed ice is making this task more enjoyable. Since i cant possibly blame my addiction to chocolate as a pregnancy related issue, i guess you could call crushed ice my only real out-of-the-ordinary craving this time. Unless of course you are interested in knowing about my whacked out brains need to smell anything laundry related like a crazed lunatic. I may make that definitely have been known to linger next to our laundry area taking in the fresh scent of detergent, fabric softener and dryer sheets. I also may again, definitely have rubbed fabric softener on my wrists on several occasions to sneak a sniff while the delicious aroma remained fragrant on my skin. I've also been known to request sweet husband to bring me a dryer sheet to keep close to my nostrils as I watch my beloved tv shows, gossip girl and prison break. It's becoming a problem. More of a need than simple desire. I should probably seek professional help before I pass the point of no return and start eating the stuff. And now that you are all well aware of my extreme chemical imbalance, I plead temporary insanity. I promise I will get myself together as soon as the little nugget arrives, and I should probably avoid pregnancy for the remainder of life.

4 comments:

Scott & Hayley said...

sounds like you have Pica. Lots of pregnant women crave laundry detergent and dirt. You can research it to find out more about it

Nikki Nielsen said...

haha yes, i read about this but it says unless you crave to eat it, that's not the case (i was kidding about being on the verge of eating it)

Elle said...

Haha, that's adorable.

Megan said...

Ask your Doc to test your iron:
Ice Cravings and Anemia
Chewing on crushed ice is a form of "pica," a medical term for craving and consuming substances with little or no nutritional value. A very common and very serious reason for craving crushed ice is iron-deficiency anemia. Chewing on crushed ice may relieve inflammation inside the mouth caused by iron deficiency. Crushed ice also often tastes better to people with iron deficiency, according to hematologist Ruben Mesa, writing for MayoClinic.com. Anemia is an especially common problem among women of childbearing age due to blood loss during their menstrual cycles.


Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/470146-why-do-i-crave-salt-crushed-ice/#ixzz1pOPOPm00