Friday, August 7, 2009

sugar, i thought you were my friend.

today is the day i nearly died. (i'm being dramatic, no need to seriously fret) i had some tests done this morning. a glucose test to see if i have pregnant lady diabetes, and blood work. i was to go WITHOUT FOOD when i woke up this morning, get to the lab, drink pure sugar, wait an hour for it to get into my system, pee in a cup, and then have 8 tubes of blood drawn from my arm. piece of cake! i was feeling great, and left with a smile on my face. i figured food was next on my list, so i was cruisin down the street to grab some carl's jr. which was the closest place. well just my luck, the light stays red......forever. my body starts shaking. the light is still red. i start sweating, and i can't think straight. finally green. (i hope) i pull into the parking lot and have to blink a million times a second to keep the blackness that is suddenly taking over my vision away. i park my car and take a swig of water, trying to decide whether i should close my eyes and just get this passing out thing over with, or try to make it inside to get my food (with the possibility of being completely tits-up on the ground in front of a dozen strangers within seconds) i opted for option one. my car was more comfortable than the concrete. just then i see a nice lady walking back to her car which was conveniently parked next to mine...i rolled down my window asking if she could help me. turns out the nice lady is a nurse. heaven sent! she told me to keep my head between my knees (the massive gut i'm currently sporting made this slightly difficult) and i started to feel better instantly. the nice heaven sent nurse lady got me a chicken sandwich inside, and all because of her i wasn't left in my car to rot. i guess she works with my doctor quite often and called him after she drove off to let him have it for not telling me to bring food with me to eat immediately after the testing. i know this, because the nurse in my doctors office called me to check on me soon after. good times. it's a great day to be alive!

5 comments:

Elke Ek said...

TO Funny! I totally know what you are talking about, cause I almost passed out with Ella! I enjoyed the story especially the "tits-up" part:) great visual. ~Elke

Julia said...

i am certainly very glad for that nurse.
and glad you are ok.
and glad you didn't die :)

Sharon said...

Nikki I can imagine how you felt - not fun! We're so glad there was someone kind nearby!Take care. xoxox

The Jayroes said...

oh my gosh - you poor thing! how lucky that the nice lady came out, was parked right next to you, and was a nurse! lucky stars... so, why did they think you might have pregnant lady diabetes? have you been getting dizzy? or having the highs and lows when eating sugar?

Emily said...

This was happening to me too. Scary stuff. Did you feel like you were going to puke after the black out? I was low in iron. I started taking 'Palafer', an over the counter iron supplement and it really helped. hope you feel better. always carry snacks silly!