Friday, July 13, 2012

not a happy camper.

I've got the itch to go beach camping. that happens every summer. most likely because my parents took me camping every summer of my childhood at Rissers Beach in Nova Scotia. some of my fondest memories were made there and i want my littles to experience it all. the only problem is that my husband isn't much of a camper. don't get me wrong, he's perfectly happy on a beach and he has no issues falling asleep in...well any circumstance really, he's just not much of a boy scout, and he will be the first to admit it. you see, gregory joined boy scouts as a wee lad. he lasted a couple of years until they really started to learn survival skills. he was shocked to learn that the best way to keep warm in an emergency situation was to remove your clothes and have skin to skin contact with your buddy. little gregory was appalled by this news and quit immediately...thus resulting in little to no boy scout skills whatsoever. I'm not saying you have to have been a boy scout in your youth to camp, but i'm pretty sure he was traumatized which explains his lack of interest. we tried camping last summer just us, his sisters and their husbands. we left if up to the boys to pick a spot and i'm pretty sure they selected the most ghetto campground in tarnation. a large portion of the folks actually lived there all year round. it was bad. it was hot, and we didn't even last 24 hours. this was the camping trip that was supposed to instill a love for camping in my sweet husband's heart. camping fail. next time we will do it right. i will take him to Rissers Beach. that'll do the trick.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Oh that sounds like such a GREAT idea! It's so HOT right now, perfect beach weather. We can't have Emmy & Hudson grow up thinking that they only go to Grammy & Grampy's to play in the snow and go ice skating! Some summer... :-) xo

Ashleigh Tanner said...

I couldn't agree more! I've been beach camping at Rissers and there's nothing quite like it! I fully support this family outting.

sammy said...

aw, yes! rissers is one of my favorite spots!

and i agree sharon - they definitely need to know our atlantic ocean and not just our snow+ice!

:)